Help! My In-Heat Cat Sprayed Urine On My Carpet! | BCS Cleaning Specialists
Oh dear, it’s that time of year again! You drift off to sleep only to be woken by Felix the kitty singing at the top of his lungs outside your window that he’s looking for a lady. And then when he doesn’t find her, he promptly comes home through the cat door and expresses his displeasure with the situation on the side of the couch. So what can you do to rescue your poor beleaguered couch and carpets from feline anointing?
If you’ve been out for a few hours, chances are that your kitty’s urine stain may have been sitting for a while. As soon as you discover it, it’s important to clean it right away. If you wait too long, on top of being straightforward nasty-looking, bacteria can start to grow in the affected area, which leads to nasty stinks.
Here’s one way to remove cat urine from carpet:
- Soak up the urine stain using paper towels or a cotton cloth. Press firmly into the stain using an old shoe or something disposable. This will help absorb as much urine as possible from the carpet.
- Using white vinegar and water, mix a solution in a bowl (50% vinegar, 50% water). You’ll want to mix enough of the solution so that it can reach deep down into the carpet’s fibers.
- Pour the solution onto the urine stain. Using a scrubbing brush, work all of it deeply into the carpet, scrubbing vigorously. The vinegar should help to neutralize the ammonia in the urine.
- Blot the urine stain using a paper towel, pressing firmly into it.
- When that section of the carpet is dry, take one to two handfuls of baking soda (depending on the size of the urine stain) and sprinkle it onto the stain.
- Mix one-half cup of three percent hydrogen peroxide with a teaspoon of dishwashing detergent and apply to the stain. You can use the scrubbing brush again to thoroughly clean the carpet.
- Once dry, vacuum the area.
If you’ve done your level best and the stain or stink is still noticeable, give the Park City and Salt Lake Valley professionals at BCS a call at 801 561 1730 and have the professionals take care of it for you in a jiffy.
Specials coming soon.
Greater Salt Lake City Area
While we’re at your home, make use of our other cleaning services!
When it comes to window cleaning, we have no boundaries. Learn More
Have the best first impression possible for your home or business! Learn More
See spills, scum, and dirt no more! Our tile and grout services will get all the dirt out of your tile and grout! Learn More
Don’t do it yourself! Let us clean and protect your area rugs to help prevent future stains. Learn More
Give your loveseat some love! Upholstery cleaning can make your furniture and fabrics look new! Learn More